Sweden is a member of the European Union. Citizens of other EU countries are welcome to work in Sweden. In reality, however, Swedish language skill is often required.

If you are a non-EU citizen, you need a working permit.

When you get an employment offer in Sweden, you are recommended to contact Sveriges Arkitekter (Architects Sweden) for advice regarding salary, employment terms etc. As soon as you accept an employment in Sweden, or if you move to Sweden in order to find a job, you are strongly recommended to become a member of Architects Sweden.

In Sweden, a written confirmation regarding the terms of the employment is compulsory by law for all employments of one month or more. Use our employment contract form.

When you are first employed in Sweden, it is essential that you get an unemployment insurance. Read further under the header Social Insurances.